----------------------------------------------- */

Mike's Blog

To boldly blog what no man has blogged before. Enjoy at your own risk!!

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Hello Again

You know you haven't blogged in a long time when you start to type your own blog address in the address bar and it doesn't autocomplete it for you. I am surprised blogger.com didn't axe my blog. Looking at my last post it's will be a month ago tomorrow since I've posted. I figured since my blog pal Alisa started blogging again, I should probably get back on the horse too. Regardless of the fact I have now lost my whole blog audience.

My first month of work was great. Actually, I started back on Feb. 28th so its more than a month now. I really like my job and the people I work with. For the most part I stay busy with work, but there is also a good balance of downtime. I think that is the main difference from my previous job. Here when I have a break and don't have any pressing work I am able to relax, BS with coworkers, and surf a bit. At my previous job, if we had downtime and gave the slightest hint that we were not busy they would start to pile on extra crap that wasn't our job and certainly not enjoyable. That kept everyone from talking to each other or socializing which, in my opinion, fostered a very hostile environment. Another huge difference is the contrast between my bosses. At my previous job my boss was a totally ass. He was the type of boss that would put his name on your work and prance around like it was his. He was the typical stuffed shirt BS artist that would tell anyone anything to make himself look better. He thought he had everyone fooled, but the more people worked with him the more they figured out that he was full of it. The client would sidestep him and call me directly for answers which irked him to no end and gave me a constant laugh. He was the perfect example of how not to be in a managerial role. At my new job I have a great boss. He is in his 30s and hasn't forgot where he came from. He's an excellent, patient mentor that goes the distance to make sure I'm comfortable in my job. We go to lunch almost everyday with a group of two other guys and we have developed a friendship in addition to our good working relationship. We have a lot of the same interests which makes for a lot of good conversation. Our skill sets seem to compliment each other and it seems we are frequently teaching each other new things about hardware, software, life, etc. He is very well read and is constantly dropping the knowledge on me from all areas of study. I don't think I could ask for a cooler boss!

The other happenings in my life have been mostly focused around finding an apartment. Alison and I are both looking forward to me having my own place so we spent last weekend running around town looking at apartments and condos with a locator. In the past I've done all the legwork in finding my own apartments and had no problems, but I decided to branch out and give a locator a shot. She was able to narrow down the search in the particular area I was looking. The funniest thing about the whole search was the fact that the apartment I have all but decided on wasn't one she had suggested. It was actually an apartment I had seen on the internet which just happened to be right next to an apartment she took me to. I even fired up a little craigslist.com for the apartment search which is great if you are looking for no-strings-attached sex or cheap apartments in a bad part of town. Fortunately I am not interested in either at this point in my life. So I will probably end up making a decision this weekend, if not tomorrow, on a place. I will try to make a post once I make a move on something. I am hoping to be in a new place by the first part of May. We'll see how that goes.

2 Comments:

  • Fri Apr 08, 08:34:00 AM CDT
    Blogger theghosher sat naked at the computer and typed…

    Hey man,

    Welcome back. My friend Lisa told me she was about ready to remove me from her "blogs she reads" links. Damn, you know it's serious when your friends threaten to do that. Glad your back... been watching TAR at all? As much as I didn't want Romber to win, i find myself rooting for them. Odd.

    Ghosher

     
  • Sun Apr 10, 12:29:00 AM CDT
    Blogger Mike sat naked at the computer and typed…

    I think I may have developed the blog bug again, but it might be too early to call it. We'll see how it goes.

    As for TAR...Al and I never miss it. I have to say that of the seasons I have watched this is MOST DEFINITELY my least favorite season. I CANNOT STAND ROB AND AMBER! I keep hoping and praying for them to drive off a cliff or catch on fire or get eaten by a lion. Or all of the above in any order Phil sees fit. CBS really jumped the shark bringing them on the show. It is really sad to say, but I have no idea who I want to win at this point. I was seriously pulling for the brothers, but they got Philiminated this last time.

     

Post a Comment